Jen draws on 30 years of experience crafting legal solutions to employment challenges. Her clients include small and large businesses and individual representation of executives. She advises technology, financial services, publishing, retail, professional services, and health care companies seeking regulatory, litigation, and compliance advice. She divides her employment practice between wage and hour compliance and trial practice, with a focus on class actions, trade secrets and employment mobility disputes, and the defense of discrimination, retaliation and other disputes arising from the employment relationship. While Jen is a zealous advocate in the courtroom, she relishes counseling clients as they navigate the manner in which the employment relationship impacts their business and personal lives.
Jen, who has an AV Preeminent ranking from Martindale-Hubbell, is a faculty member and advisor to The Honor Foundation, a non-profit organization that assists Navy Seals and other armed services special operators transition from military service to the private sector. She is a Co-Chair of San Diego’s Workplace Equity & Civility Initiative, an initiative launched as a proactive and productive community response to the #MeToo movement that is facilitated by The Lawyers Club of San Diego. She is also Co- Chair of the San Diego 2020 Women on Boards Leadership Committee. She was named as one of San Diego's Top Influential Women for 2020 by the San Diego Daily Transcript and frequently writes about employment topics. The National Law Review recently named Jen its “National Law Review Go-To Thought Leader” for 2020 for her article, “Vaccinate or Terminate – Mandatory Vaccination as Workplace Policy” which had over 250,000 pageviews since its publication in July 2020. You can follow her Corporate Divorce Series and other thought pieces on LinkedIn here.
Her recent publications and speaking engagements include:
- Quoted in MarketWatch, Tech Tales, “Regulating Big Tech will be hard, and California is proving it,” December 31, 2020.
- Author, Law360 - "Employer Vaccine Practices May Spur Bias, Consumer Claims," December 8, 2020.
- Quoted, Washington Post - "What You Need to Know about the Moderna and Pfizer Coronavirus Vaccine," November 17, 2020.
- Quoted, Bloomberg Law - "Covid-19 Vaccine Mandates at Work Promise Employer Headaches" November 2, 2020.
- Author, Bloomberg Law - "Guidance for Complying with California's New Board Diversity Mandate" October 15, 2020.
- Author, Daily Journal - "California's New Diversity Mandate for Corporate Boards" October 9, 2020.
- Author, Bloomberg Law - "Insight: How to Handle Employees Who Refuse Mandatory Vaccines" August 11, 2020.
- Author, National Law Review - "Vaccinate or Terminate - Mandatory Vaccination As Workplace Policy" August 4, 2020.
- Author, Law360 - "What Employers Should Know About Return-To-Work Surveys" June 19, 2020.
- Co-Author with M. Frayer, Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance - “Board Oversight of Human Capital Risk – Is it Time to Appoint a Chief Covid Officer?” May 19, 2020.
- Quoted, Bloomberg Law - "What's Legal in Covid-19 Pay Cuts Isn't Necessarily What's Fair" May 11, 2020.
- Quoted, SHRM - "Revise Policies to Facilitate Return to Work" April 22, 2020.
- Author, San Francisco Daily Journal - "Gender Mandate for Corporate Boards: A Year in Review" March 17, 2020.
- Quoted, The Wall Street Journal - "Young Workers Seek Mental Health Accommodations, Employers Try to Keep Up" February 12, 2020.
- Moderator, ACC San Diego, SHRM and Mintz - "Politics, People & Passions: Managing Political Speech & Conflict Inside (and Outside) the Corporate Workplace" February 12, 2020.
- Author, Corporate Counsel - "Managing Diverse Board Personalities to Achieve Consensus" January 23, 2020.
- Speaker, 2020 Women on Boards, National Conversation on Board Diversity, San Diego Chapter - "Update on Legal Challenges to SB 826" November 22, 2019.
- Author, Bloomberg Law - "INSIGHT: Easing Conflicts When Hiring in a Family Business" October 8, 2019.
- Author, Law360 (Expert Analysis) - "#MeToo Shows Two Years of Progress Toward Gender Parity" October 2, 2019.
- Author, The Recorder - "Another Shot Fired in California’s Employee Poaching War—Are There Legal Solutions to the Golden State’s Employee Mobility Dilemma?" March 6, 2019.
- Author, Lawyers Club San Diego - "California Mandates Female Representation on Public Company Boards" November 7, 2018.
- Author, Daily Journal - "Mandating Female Representation on Boards" October 12, 2018.
- Panelist, Bloomberg/IR Magazine Webinar - "Keep control of the company narrative in social media age" September 25, 2018.
- Author, Corporate Secretary - "Managing your CEO's social media habits" August 28, 2018.
- Author, Corporate Counsel - "Our CEO Is an Accused Harasser. Now What?" August 21, 2018.
- Author, Law360 - "Mintz's Jen Rubin Discusses #MeToo and the Need for an Investigative Process" August 19, 2018.
- Author, Law360 - "Expert Analysis - #MeToo Is Missing An Investigative Process" August 15, 2018.
- University of Connecticut (JD)
- University of Connecticut (BA, History)