Keith is a nimble and active trial attorney and Co-Chair of the Sports & Entertainment Group. He works with public, private, and closely-held companies, senior executives and boards across many industries. He also regularly advises prominent professional sports franchises, senior executives and athletes with regard to league investigations, business disputes and other sensitive and high-profile matters. Since 2015, he has been trial counsel for nine matters taken to verdict, award, or decision in five different jurisdictions, and in 2020 alone he has successfully represented multiple clients in investigations conducted by Major League Baseball (MLB) and the National Hockey League (NHL). He has also successfully represented clients in multiple sports-related arbitrations, including National Basketball Association (NBA) and NHL related business disputes, and a disciplinary matter before the NBA Players Association. The complex cases he has handled cover a wide range of subjects including commercial contract disputes, antitrust claims, fiduciary duties, intellectual property, corporate governance, negligence, health care, life sciences, eminent domain, insurance bad faith, and sports industry disputes and league investigations. Keith has both litigated and tried cases in numerous state and federal courts throughout the United States and has represented clients in arbitration proceedings and other alternative dispute resolution forums, including AAA and JAMS. He has also argued appeals in multiple state jurisdictions and in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit and the Second Circuit.
Earlier in his career, Keith served as a law clerk to the Honorable Christopher F. Droney in the United States District Court for the District of Connecticut. During law school, he was Articles Editor and member of the editorial board for the Georgetown Journal of Legal Ethics.
- Georgetown University (JD)
- Georgetown University (BA, Government)
Recent Sports Industry Experience
- Represent Alex Cora and other Red Sox team employees with regard to the MLB investigation into allegations of illegal use of electronic equipment by the Red Sox during 2018 and 2019 to steal opposing pitchers’ signs during games. Investigation concluded with no discipline for Alex based on his work for the Red Sox.
- Since 2018 have represented and advised MLB organization on a variety of confidential internal and external matters.
- Trial counsel for NBA player agent accused of violating the NBAPA code of conduct who faced decertification as an agent. Arbitration Award resulted in dismissal of charges and full exoneration of client.
- Lead counsel for NHL hockey club in breach of contract dispute with minor league affiliate.
- Represent NHL senior team executive in business dispute with organization and ongoing NHL investigation.
- Lead trial counsel for a large privately owned international sports and entertainment company which owns multiple top-tier professional sports teams in NBA, NHL, and MLS in commercial contract litigation regarding management of sports arena. Obtained complete trial victory and determination of no liability for client.
- Served as lead trial counsel for an elite professional athlete and US Olympian in a breach of contract arbitration.
- Advised NHL hockey club on regulatory and disciplinary matter related to player contract signed during lockout.
Trial and Litigation Experience
- Lead counsel for IT infrastructure firm in breach of contract lawsuit pending in federal court in Western District of North Carolina involving the technology buildout for a national consumer services franchise involving more than 1,000 locations nationwide. Successfully dismissed RICO counterclaim and summary judgment motions remain pending. Trial is currently scheduled for late 2020.
- Lead counsel for a closely held manufacturing company and its founder/majority shareholder in corporate governance and freeze-out litigation pending in Massachusetts. Trial schedule is suspended until 2021.
- Lead counsel for international travel and real estate rental business in regulatory enforcement matter before the Massachusetts Division of Professional Licensure.
- Lead trial counsel for personal creditor in a breach of oral contract claim brought against debtor. Jury returned a verdict for the full amount of the debt owed and judgment entered for that amount plus interest. Also successfully represented the same client before the Appeals Court, which issued a decision affirming the trial court judgment in all respects.
- Lead counsel for a Milwaukee-based manufacturing company in defense of a lawsuit pending in federal court in San Diego, CA. Successfully argued and convinced the Court to dismiss the plaintiff's Lanham Act and unfair trade practices claims and successfully briefed and won an objection to plaintiff's motion to disqualify Mintz from the case. The remaining patent claims (led by the Mintz IP Group) settled very favorably after claim construction ruling from Court in client’s favor.
- Lead counsel for the Trustee for the holders of $189M worth of Industrial Development Revenue Bonds in an Adversary Proceeding pending in the Bankruptcy Court in the Eastern District of Texas involving multi-million dollar claims of fraud and equitable subordination brought by a creditor of the development project debtor. Case settled favorably.
- Lead trial counsel for San Francisco based life-sciences company in defense of commercial contract dispute with a supplier of essential supplies. Successfully knocked out plaintiffs' $170M damages claim.
- Lead trial counsel for multi-national insurance company defending against bad faith claims brought in federal court by another insurance company. Obtained a complete victory for client after two week federal bench trial.
- Lead trial counsel for iconic, family-owned Boston restaurant business that was forced into bankruptcy and eventually closed as a result of the Big Dig construction project. After a three week trial, the jury awarded the full measure of his clients’ requested damages, which was among the top jury verdicts in 2015 in Massachusetts.
- Served as lead trial counsel for a well-known public company in a corporate governance, breach of fiduciary duty, and contract dispute against former company officers. Case was settled on client-favorable terms following jury selection.
- Represented a national health care services company following a $125 million acquisition in post-transaction litigation brought by seller and obtained a favorable summary judgment and an award of full attorney’s fees for client.
- Successfully defended the same national health care services company in several business disputes, including as lead trial counsel in trial victory against claims brought by a commercial services provider.
- Successfully defended a municipal police department and police commission against race discrimination claims and obtained judgment in his clients’ favor following a one-week federal bench trial.
Recognition & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America: Commercial Litigation (2021)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Business Litigation (2013 – 2020)
- Benchmark Litigation: Litigation Star (2020 – 2021)
- Top Verdict's Top Ten Verdicts in Massachusetts (2015)
- Past Chairman and Current Board Member, Robert F. Kennedy Children’s Action Corps
- Law Alumni Board Member, Georgetown University Law Center
- Board Member, The BASE (Boston based urban baseball and education-focused youth organization)
- Boston Advisory Board Member, Concussion Legacy Foundation
- Board Member, The Foundation To Be Named Later
- Advisory Board Member, UMASS Boston Sports Leadership Degree Program
- Member, Sports Law Association