Rich is an accomplished public finance attorney whose practice focuses on high-yield, tax-exempt bonds, for both workout and new money transactions. His experience encompasses a wide range of sectors in the tax-exempt market. Rich's clients include mutual funds, indenture trustees, private equity funds, and insurance companies. Rich uses his quantitative and negotiating skills to maximize capital recovery for his clients. He also serves as bond counsel on new money financings.
Rich represents mutual funds, indenture trustees, private equity funds, and insurance companies in tax-exempt bond transactions, focusing in the area of high-yield securities in both workout and new money transactions. He approaches every transaction with a combination of strategic analysis, quantitative assessment, and negotiation skills that optimizes outcomes for his clients. Rich’s sector experience includes senior living, health care, multi-family housing, assessment districts, charter schools, solid waste disposal, and hospitality facilities. He also serves as bond counsel on new money financings. He is a frequent panelist on topics concerning distressed bonds and tax-exempt finance.
Rich is a member of the firm's Policy Committee and its Compensation Committee.
- University of Chicago (JD)
- Brown University (BA)
- Represented the indenture trustee in the workout of $30 million of bonds secured by a Florida senior living facility, including the infusion of $10 million of new capital.
- Represented the new money investor of $30 million of senior debt in a senior housing development.
- Represented the indenture trustees in the restructuring of bonds or sale of assets for special assessment districts located throughout the country.
- New money investors in charter school investments around the country.
- Represented indenture trustees, bond insurers and bondholders in the default and workout of numerous charter schools located throughout the country.
Recognition & Awards
- Chambers USA: Massachusetts – Banking & Finance: Public Finance (2012 – 2020)
- Recommended by The Legal 500 United States for Finance: Municipal Bankruptcy (2013 – 2016)
- Included on the Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Bonds/Government Finance list (2011 – 2013)
- National Federation of Municipal Analysts Meritorious Service Award (2006)
- Phi Beta Kappa