Tyrone has gained national recognition for his work in employment and sports law. He advises academic institutions on executive compensation arrangements. Tyrone also provides compliance assessments on governance issues and advises clients on conflicts of interest. In addition, he focuses on legal issues pertaining to intercollegiate athletics and professional sports. Tyrone is highly regarded for his insight on sports matters and has served as a legal analyst for various publications. He also chairs the firm’s Diversity Committee.
Tyrone advises boards, presidents, and other senior executives on employment, consulting and separation agreements. In providing compliance assessments on governance issues, he advises on conflict of interests and IRS regulations governing intermediate sanctions and Form 990 reporting. He has counseled on the development and implementation of affirmative action plans and related matters with OFCCP. Tyrone is a frequent speaker for various associations in higher education on presidential compensation and executive searches, including the American Council on Education, the National Association of College and University Attorneys, the American Association of State Colleges and Universities, and the Council of Independent Colleges.
Tyrone represents clients on complex legal issues in athletics. In intercollegiate athletic matters, his experience includes enforcement investigations, the infractions process, and appeals. He advises colleges on Title IX, employment contracts, and policies for athletics personnel. In professional sports matters, he has advised teams on league compliance issues and other legal matters. He is nationally recognized for his experience in sports matters and has served as a legal analyst for the New York Times, ESPN, Sports Illustrated, The Chronicle of Higher Education, Sports Business Journal, University Business, and the Sports Litigation Alert.
In general employment matters, Tyrone advises companies on reductions in force and allegations of discrimination. He successfully defended a nonprofit organization engaged in food recycling and meal distribution programs on a race discrimination charge. He advised a metro transportation authority on corrective action programs arising from a consent decree on discrimination charges. He has conducted litigation avoidance audits relating to prospective discrimination/harassment/retaliation claims for a power company, an international trucking company and a provider of cleaning and facility services.
In addition to his legal practice, Tyrone is chair of the Mintz Diversity Committee. In this role, he leads the firm’s initiatives promoting diversity in the legal profession. Tyrone is also the Co-chair of the firm's Sports & Entertainment Practice.
- Tulane University (JD)
- Dartmouth College (BA)
- Advised a university on certain terms for the contract of its then-head football coach, who was at the time subject to high recruitment elsewhere due to the team’s top 5 national ranking.
- Provided employment advice and counselling to the Big Ten Conference on key employment and executive compensation issues for its senior staff.
- Advised and counseled NBA league bylaws and polices as well as involvement in intra-team disputes and matters involving trades and health disclosures.
- Advised a private university on a number of employment matters including compliance with Title IX, regulations applicable to athletics aid and participation, and NCAA bylaws and policies.
- Represented a major league professional sports team in arbitration over appropriate trade disclosures; obtained a seven-figure recovery.
- Represented Vanderbilt University and its Board of Governors regarding the compensation package and employment contract of the university's chancellor.
- Represented the University of Florida and its Board of Trustees in connection with the recruitment process for hiring a new president.
Recognition & Awards
- Lawyers of Color Power List (2020)
- Past Deputy General Counsel, National Bar Association
- Member, Sports Lawyers Association