Bill applies his extensive mergers and acquisitions and venture capital financing experience primarily to deal work for life sciences companies. He helps clients thrive at every stage of the corporate life cycle by piloting them through the initial organization phase, stock and debt financings, IPOs, alliances, and business combinations. He ably advises biotechnology, medical technology, healthcare IT, and other types of technology companies. Bill also counsels venture capital firms about their portfolio investments.
Bill currently serves as Co-chair of the firm’s Life Sciences Practice. He focuses his practice on securities law, venture capital, and mergers and acquisitions. He regularly represents technology-based companies, principally in the areas of biotechnology, medical technologies, healthcare IT, and other technology sectors. He routinely counsels these clients on many aspects of their corporate development, from initial organization and acquisition of technology, through private financing and initial public offering, to strategic alliances and business combination transactions. He regularly represents venture capital firms in portfolio investment activities and underwriters in public offerings and private placements of equity securities. Bill is also a key contributor to MintzEdge, an online resource for entrepreneurs that includes useful tools and information for starting and growing a company.
Bill is a member of Launchpad Venture Group and the New England Healthcare Executives Network, and regularly participates in activities of BIO, the Massachusetts Biotechnology Council, and MassMEDIC.
During law school, he served as editor-in-chief of the Boston University Law Review. Bill is a former law clerk to the Chief Judge of the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.
- Boston University School of Law (JD)
- Middlebury College (BA)
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented Censa Pharmaceuticals in its option/collaboration/acquisition transaction with Retrophin (NASDAQ: RTRX)
- Represented Allegro Diagnostics in its merger with Veracyte, Inc. (NASDAQ: VCYT)
- Represented Ember Corporation in its merger with Silicon Laboratories, Inc. (NASDAQ: SLAB)
- Represented Pluromed, Inc. in its merger with Sanofi
- Represented Boston Biomedical, Inc. in its merger with Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma Co., Ltd.
- Represented Caliper Life Sciences, Inc. (NASDAQ: CALP) in its merger with PerkinElmer, Inc. (NYSE: PKI)
- Represented Visigen Biotechnologies, Inc. in its merger with Invitrogen Corporation (currently known as Life Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: LIFE))
- Represented V.I. Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: VITX) in its merger with Panacos Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ: PANC)
- Represented EPIX Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ: EPIX) in its merger with Predix Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Represented Caliper Life Sciences, Inc. (NASDAQ: CALP) in its merger with Xenogen Corporation (NASDAQ: XGEN)
- Represented Focus Technologies Holding Company in its acquisition by Quest Diagnostics Incorporated (NYSE: DGX)
- Represented the MacGregror Group, Inc. in its acquisition by Investment Technology Group, Inc. (NYSE: ITG)
Public & Private Offerings for Public Companies
- Represented Quanterix Corporation (NASDAQ: QTRX) in its initial public offering
- Represented NuCana (NASDAQ: NCNA) in its initial public offering
- Represented Intercept Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ: ICPT) in its initial public offering
- Represented BG Medicine, Inc. (Nasdaq: BGMD) in its initial public offering
- Represented Coley Pharmaceutical Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: COLY) in its initial public offering
- Represented Panacos Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ: PANC) in a follow-on public offering
- Represented EPIX Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ: EPIX) in its initial public offering and a Rule 144A offering of convertible notes
- Represented Predix Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in its initial public offering
Venture Capital Financings
- Represented Quanterix Corporation in its Series D Preferred Stock financing
- Represented Vedanta Biosciences in its Series B Preferred Stock financing
- Represented ERX Pharmacueticals, Inc. in its initial institutional preferred stock financing
- Represented Caribou Biosciences, Inc. in its Series B Preferred Stock financing
- Represented Biogen Inc. in its preferred stock investment in Yumanity, Inc.
- Represented Anchor Therapeutics, Inc. in various preferred stock and debt financings
- Represented Pulmatrix, Inc. in various preferred stock and debt financings
- Represented Luminus Devices, Inc. in various preferred stock and debt financings
Recognition & Awards
- Recommended by The Legal 500 United States for Healthcare: Life Sciences (2013, 2015 - 2020)
- Chambers USA: Massachusetts – Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions (2014 – 2017)
- Best Lawyers in America: Biotechnology and Life Sciences Practice (2013 – 2021)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
- Past member, MIT Innovations Committee
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Member, 4th Annual International Bar Association (IBA) World Life Sciences Conference Supporting Committee (2016)
- Member, Launchpad Venture Group
- Member of the Advisory Board of Boston Ballet